If you have suspicion of Elder Abuse
Call 911 if the abuse is in progress, if not then make a report to one
of the following agencies:
Kings County Sheriff’s Office (559) 582-3211, ext. 2790; or
Hanford Police Department (559) 585-2540; or
Lemoore Police Department (559) 924-9574; or
Corcoran Police Department (559) 992-5151; or
Kings County Adult Protection Services (559) 582-8776 (24-Hour Hotline); or
Kings County District Attorney's Office (559) 582-0326.
Goals of Criminal Prosecution:
1. Stop the Abuse
2. Protect the Victim and Society
3. Communicate A Clear Message... "That The Conduct Is Serious And Criminal"
4. Hold the Offender Accountable
5. Make the Victim Whole
6. Rehabilitate the Offender
What the local law enforement agencies and /or District Attorney's Office can do:
1) Communicate a clear message that the conduct is serious, illegal and will not be tolerated.
2) Intervene to stop the abuse in any of the following manner:
Protect Elders From further abuse with:
Stay-Away Orders, Conditions of release or Probation,
Order suspects to vacate victim's residence.
Show abuser the behavior is serious - by the actions of the Criminal Justice System
in arresting the suspect and bring him/her before a judge.
To determine what is owed, get a full accounting from the defendant/obtain
restitution for the elder.
Order defendant to obey orders of other courts, including the Probate Court,
and impose criminal sanctions for failure to do so.
Order defendants to obtain counseling and treatment.
3) Criminal Justice System Can Assist Victims With the Following:
Payment of medical bills though State Victim Indemnity Fund - where there is violence.
Referral to community agencies for support. Emergency shelter.
Safe waiting areas in the Courthouse; transportation to Court;
witness fees for meals and expenses.
Victim-Witness Assistance Programs. Court accompaniment.
Assist with Victim testimony (Conditional exam possibility).